This is a nice recipe for vegetarian lentil stew. Lentils are so good for you! They are packed with protein, folic acid and iron! They are also easy to cook because they do not require overnight soaking! To top it off their nutty flavor is delicious!Here is what you are going to need for this:
1-10 oz. bag brown lentils
2 celery stalks
2 medium carrots
1 medium yellow onion
3 garlic cloves
1 bunch Italian parsley
2 tablespoons tomato paste
½ cup dry sherry
4 cups water
Salt & Pepper
- Rinse the lentils well.
- Wash and dice the celery.
- Peel and dice the carrots.
- Chop the onion.
- Mince the garlic.
- Rinse & pat dry the parsley. Mince.
- Coat the bottom of a pan with olive oil. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent.
- Add the celery and carrots and combine well. Cook, stirring occasionally, until veggies soften, around 5 minutes.
- Add ½ the parsley and garlic. Cook for approximately 1 minute until you can smell the garlic.
- Add the tomato paste and mix well. Cook for another minute.
- Add the lentils, the water and the sherry. Mix well. Season with salt & pepper.
- Bring lentils to a boil. Cover pan and simmer for approximately 2 hours. You will need to stir lentils occasionally and add water as needed. The stew will dry up as lentils cook and re-hydrate.
- When lentils are cooked adjust your salt & pepper.
- Serve with brown rice and garnished with remaining parsley.