This baked tilapia recipe is made with salsa verde or green salsa and sour cream. It is very healthy and super tasty. It is also super easy to make.
The tomatillo’s tangy flavor in the salsa verde goes really well with any mild white fish. You can substitute the tilapia with sole or catfish in this recipe – or any mild firm fleshed white fish for that matter.
Tilapia is a very inexpensive fish that is easily found. It is farmed so you if that is a deal breaker for you go ahead and substitute it.
Here is what you need to do for this delicious and easy baked tilapia recipe:
6 fillets tilapia
1 lb. tomatillo (green tomatoes), husked
2 jalapeños, seeded
2 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 cup chicken stock
½ cup chopped cilantro + 2 tablespoons for garnish
¼ cup cream
Salt & Pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wash and pat dry the fish.
2. Place the fish in a baking dish. Squeeze the lemon on the fish and lightly season with salt & pepper.
3. Bring a pot of water and salt to a boil. Add the husked tomatillos and jalapeños and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until the tomatillos change from bright green to brownish green.
4. While the tomatillos are cooking, heat a sauté pan with olive oil. Add the onion and cook until onion is browned, stirring frequently for approximately 5 minutes.
5. Add the garlic, oregano and cumin and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until flavors are infused.
6. Once the tomatillos are ready, transfer them to a blender. Add the browned onions and spices and ¼ cup chicken stock. Blend until smooth. Please be careful if food is hot as it will shoot out of your blender!
7. Wipe the sauté pan and add some more olive oil. Heat pan again and return the blended tomatoes. Cook stirring often, slowly adding the chicken stock. Cook for 5 minutes at medium heat. Remove from heat and cool salsa.
8. Pour salsa on the fish and bake for 20 minutes.
9. Serve with a doll-up of cream and garnish with chopped cilantro and white rice.
CALORIES 170.65; FAT 4.75 grs (sat 1.82; mono 1.30; poly 0.83); PROTEIN 20.11 grs ; FIBER 2.91 grs; CARBS 14.09 grs; CHOLESTEROL 48.58 mg; IRON 1.85 mg; SODIUM 567.40 mg; CALCIUM 57.87 mg