Quinoa is an Andean grain that is packed in nutrients. It is considered a super food as it is packed with protein – it contains the 9 essential amino acids required by the body, magnesium and fiber. Having grown up in Bolivia we often had quinoa which is now more and more available in US grocery stores. You will find it, for sure, at Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods. This recipe calls for quinoa with zucchini and curry. It is a super healthy, affordable and tasty meal! Here is what you are going to need for this:
2 cups quinoa
5 cups chopped zucchini
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon curry powder
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 ½ cups vegetable stock
Salt & Pepper
Water as needed
1. Wash the quinoa very well, scrubbing it between your hands and rinsing often
until water comes out clear.
2. Place quinoa in a fine sieve colander and allow the water to drain well.
3. Heat a skillet over high heat until very hot. Add the quinoa and toast, stirring
constantly, until quinoa turns golden and starts crackling, about 10 to 15 minutes.
4. Bring the vegetable stock to a boil in a separate pot.
5. Add the toasted quinoa and the nutmeg. Season with salt & pepper and cover.
Reduce heat and allow steaming for approximately 20 minutes.
6. While the quinoa is cooking, heat a skillet and add olive oil.
7. Add the zucchini and the garlic and cook, stirring often until zucchini is browned.
8. Add the curry and mix well.
9. Check your quinoa and add a little water if needed to continue cooking.
10. Place the cooked zucchini on top of the quinoa, without stirring and allow quinoa
to finish cooking.
11. Mix the cooked quinoa with the zucchini and serve.