What a great meal for a cold winter night! This is easy and can be made in a crock-pot while you’re away from home. Barley goes really nicely with beef in soups and stews. This is a great comforting meal that will warm up your body and soul! Serve it with a nice piece of crusty bread! Here is what you are going to need for this:
4 meaty beef soup bones
3 scallions, trimmed
3 large garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
1 celery stalk with leaves
1 cup frozen vegetable medley (carrots, peas, corn), thawed
1 large Russet potato, peeled and diced
½ cup barley
8 cups water
Salt & pepper
- Rinse and pat dry the soup bones.
- Place the bones in a stockpot. Wrap the scallions and celery around the bones. Add the garlic and the water. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 2 hours.
- Remove the scallions and celery.
- Add the vegetables and barley.
- Cook for 20 minutes and add the potato.
- Cook for and extra 20 minutes.
- Serve with crackers or crusty bread.