Braised short ribs are a very inexpensive yet delectable meal! These cook for a long time and the result is a superbly tender piece of meat. Enjoy these with some mashed potatoes. Make sure you pour some of that delicious juice on your potatoes! Here is what you are going to need for this:
4 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
3 large carrots, peeled and quartered
1 large yellow onion, sliced
3 celery stalks, cut into 1-inch pieces
4 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
4 sprigs thyme, leaves removed
1 tablespoon chopped celery leaves
4 cups beef stock
2 cups red wine
Salt & Pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Rinse and pat dry ribs.
- Heat a large Dutch oven or ovenproof braising pan. Add olive oil.
- Season ribs generously with salt and pepper.
- Brown ribs evenly on all sides, making sure not to crowd pan.
- Remove browned ribs and discard excess fat.
- Add onions, celery and carrots to pan. Cook, stirring occasionally for 4 to 5 minutes, until veggies start browning.
- Pour a little beef stock into pan and deglaze it, making sure to remove all the yummy brown parts that stuck to the bottom.
- Add the thyme and celery leaves. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the rest of the broth and the wine.
- Bring pot to a boil. Cover and place in oven.
- Cook for 2 to 3 hours until meat is falling off of bones.
- Serve with mashed potatoes.
You can also make these in a slow cooker. Simple brown the ribs and place them in the pot. Add the remaining ingredients and cook 5 to 6 hours on low.