Cheese empanadas are very easy and fun to make. They are traditionally not made from puff pastry but from more of a pie dough consistency. This recipe, however, calls for puff pastry.
10 5×5 squares puff pastry
2 cups shredded farmer’s cheese
1 large egg white, beaten
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
Salt & Pepper
1 egg for egg wash, beaten
- Preheat the oven at 375 degrees.
- Place the grated cheese in a bowl. Mix with the beaten egg white.
- Add the cayenne, if using, and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the puff pastry on a cutting board.
- Place 2 tablespoons cheese mixture in the middle.
- Fold puff pastry and seal edges, forming a triangle.
- Apply egg wash. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until empanadas are puffed and brown.
- Serve with coffee or tea.