Chicken stock is great to use for making soups, rice, mashed potatoes and all kinds of casseroles. Why not make it from scratch? It is so much healthier and really quite easy. For starters it will not be salt ridden! Here’s a great, easy, frugal recipe for you!
4 legs and 4 chicken thighs, rinsed
1 large yellow onion, quartered
1 large carrot, peeled and halved
6 garlic cloves, smashed
1/4 green bell pepper, seeded
3 scallions, trimmed
2 celery stalks with leaves (optional)
½ bunch parsley
6 thyme sprigs
2 bay leaves
10 cups water
Salt & Pepper
• Tie the parsley and thyme with some kitchen twine.
• Place all of the ingredients into a large pot. Cover with water. Season with salt & pepper.
• Bring pot to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 to 1 ½ hours, skimming fat and foam in the process.
• Cool down and remove all herbs and vegetables.
• Portion and freeze for future use in soups, casseroles, rice, mashed potatoes, etc.