Of all the chili recipes with beef this is my absolute favorite. This is a very flavorful meal with super tender beef. It is also very spicy.
Although I make this in two steps and in two days it is not necessary to do so. I like braising the beef and then letting it sit overnight so that all the flavors meld with each other. But, no worries. If you want to finish this the same day you start you can absolutely do so.
I know that authentic beef chili has no beans but I love to add the beans to mine. You can omit them if you prefer.
Serve this wonderful chili with some cornbread or tortilla chips on the side.
This is what you are going to need for this exquisite beef chili recipe:
3 pounds chuck beef, diced
2 medium yellow onions, finely chopped
5 garlic cloves, minced
2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped
3 Tbs. chili powder
1 tsp. chipotle powder
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 Tbs. ground cumin
Pinch of ground cloves
12 oz. dark ale
2 cups beef broth
2 sticks cinnamon
2 bay leaves
30 oz. can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
Olive oil, salt and pepper
Finely chopped seeded tomato, finely chopped red onion, jalapeño rings and sour cream for garnish
- Heat some olive oil in a large braising pan. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until they start to brown – 8 to 10 minutes. Add the garlic and jalapeño and mix well. Cook for an extra 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan and set aside. Wipe your pan.
- Add more olive oil and heat. Add the beef and brown evenly on all sides. Work in batches so you do not overcrowd your pot. Set meat aside.
- Return the cooked onions to the pot. Add the dry spices and mix well. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes until fragrant. Add the beer and 1 cup beef broth. Return the beef to the pan. Mix well. Add the cinnamon and bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper. Bring our beef to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 3 ½ hours. (If finishing tomorrow, cool down completely and refrigerate – heat up again the next day.)
- Remove the cinnamon and the bay leaves. Add 1 more cup beef broth and the kidney beans. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes and serve. Garnish with chopped tomatoes, red onion, jalapeño rings and sour cream. Enjoy!