I like to make this chili in two steps. I first braise the beef for 3 1/2 hours and I refrigerate it overnight. This allows all the flavors to meld and the final result is amazing. However, if you do not want to do that and would rather eat it the day you are cooking it, go ahead and finish it and enjoy! However you decide to do it I can promise you will love it! A word of caution – this is really spicy!
This is what you are going to need for this:
3 pounds chuck beef, diced
2 medium yellow onions, finely chopped
5 garlic cloves, minced
2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped
3 Tbs. chili powder
1 tsp. chipotle powder
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 Tbs. ground cumin
Pinch of ground cloves
12 oz. dark ale
2 cups beef broth
2 sticks cinnamon
2 bay leaves
30 oz. can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
Olive oil, salt and pepper
Finely chopped seeded tomato, finely chopped red onion, jalapeño rings and sour cream for garnish
- Heat some olive oil in a large braising pan. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until they start to brown – 8 to 10 minutes. Add the garlic and jalapeño and mix well. Cook for an extra 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan and set aside. Wipe your pan.
- Add more olive oil and heat. Add the beef and brown evenly on all sides. Work in batches so you do not overcrowd your pot. Set meat aside.
- Return the cooked onions to the pot. Add the dry spices and mix well. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes until fragrant. Add the beer and 1 cup beef broth. Return the beef to the pan. Mix well. Add the cinnamon and bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper. Bring our beef to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 3 ½ hours. (If finishing tomorrow, cool down completely and refrigerate – heat up again the next day.)
- Remove the cinnamon and the bay leaves. Add 1 more cup beef broth and the kidney beans. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes and serve. Garnish with chopped tomatoes, red onion, jalapeño rings and sour cream. Enjoy!
Other chili recipes:
Black Eyed Pea Chipotle Chili
Vegetarian Stagg Chili
Super Bowl Chili
Butternut Corn Black Bean Chili
Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
Vegetarian Black Bean Chipotle Chili
Left Over Brisket Chili
Chili con Carne