Red Wine Braised Short Beef Ribs
Beef short ribs are quite inexpensive. They tend to be tough but the flavor they deliver is outstanding. The preferred cooking method for these is a slow braise. This ensures a tender meat, juicy and delectable meat. This is what you are going to need for this:
16 beefy beef short ribs
2 yellow onions, finely chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
3 celery stalks, finely chopped
2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
6 medium carrots, peeled and quartered
1- 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1/2 bottle red wine
1 cup low salt chicken broth
5 sprigs thyme
5 sprigs sage
Salt & Pepper
- Rinse and pat dry the ribs. Remove any hard membrane and excess fat, using a sharp knife. Sprinkle them liberally with salt, pepper and flour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat a large braising pan with olive oil. Add the meat, working in batches, and brown evenly on all sides. Remove from pan and discard all but 2 tablespoons of excess fat.
- Add the onions and cook, scraping the brown pieces from the bottom of the pan, for about 6 to 7 minutes until translucent. Add the garlic and mix well. Cook for a minute. Add the celery and the carrots and mix well. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the parsley and the crushed tomatoes. Mix well.
- Fill the empty can of tomatoes with water and wash it down. Add to the pot. Mix well and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Return the ribs to the pot, meat side down. Add the wine and the chicken broth. Mix all the liquids well. Season with salty and pepper. Place the thyme and sage springs on top. Bring the pot to a boil, cover and place in the oven. Braise for 2 ½ hours.
- Remove the pot from the oven and cool down a bit. Remove the ribs very carefully so as not to destroy them and set them aside. Let the liquid cool down and skim out all of the excess fat.
- Heat the sauce and serve it on top of the ribs. Serve with mashed potatoes or creamy polenta. Enjoy!
This recipe is for 8 servings.
Print the Red Wine Braised Beef Short Ribs Recipe Here
Other Beef Short Rib Recipes:
Braised Short Rib Ragu
Marinated Grilled Beef Short Ribs
Braised Beef Ribs w/ Cranberries
Chili Rubbed BBQ Beef Ribs
Braised Beef Short Ribs