We are going to make this chicken and rice soup with chicken legs and corn. First we will make a nice stock and then add the rice, corn and tomato paste to it. This is an easy and inexpensive soup that you can enjoy anytime.
Before we add the rice to this chicken and rice soup we will wash it and fry it for a bit. This will prevent it from getting sticky inside our soup. You can use white or brown rice for this. Just keep in mind that you will need extra time for brown rice as it takes longer to cook.
If you want to skip a step you can go ahead and use store bought chicken stock for this recipe. However, it is so easy to make I would urge you to make your own. This way you can control what goes into it.
This is a nice soup to send to school and the office in lunch boxes. It freezes very well so go ahead and make an extra batch. This way you have it ready when you don’t feel like cooking.
This is what you are going to need for this easy and delish chicken and rice soup:
6 large chicken legs
Celery & Parsley
4 garlic cloves smashed
1 small yellow onion
¼ bell pepper
2 bay leaves
8 cups water
• Rinse the chicken legs and place them in a large pot.
• Tie the celery and parsley into a bouquet.
• Place all of the ingredients in the pot with the chicken and add the water.
• Cook for 60 to 90 minutes, skimming the foam and fat as it forms, until you have a nicely concentrated stock.
• Remove all of the ingredients from the stock. Discard everything but the chicken and the stock.
• Skin the chicken and shred the meat, making sure you get rid of all bone and cartilage.
½ cup rice
1 cup assorted, thawed veggies (carrots, peas, corn)
1 TBS tomato paste
Salt & Pepper
• Place the rice into a small skillet with some oil. Brown for a few minutes. Add to the stock.
• Return the chicken and vegetables to the stock. Add the tomato paste and make sure it is dissolved well. Season with salt and pepper. Add the oregano.
• Cook for an extra 20 minutes, until rice and vegetables are cooked through.
CALORIES 341.98; FAT 8.84 grs (sat 2.36; mono 3.93; poly 1.71); PROTEIN 23.69 grs ; FIBER 1.84 grs; CARBS 40.59 grs; CHOLESTEROL 0.00 mg; IRON 2.93 mg; SODIUM 927.24 mg; CALCIUM 38.16 mg