When I posted this recipe on YouTube I called it Sauerkraut. That was what I was told by my half German mom. I guess there was a loss in translation. Turns out when you use red cabbage this is called Rotkraut. The apples that are included in this recipe give it a special flavor and balance the acidity of the vinegar very nicely. Here is what you are going to need for this:
1 small or ½ large red cabbage, finely chopped
2 red apples, peeled and chopped
1 tsp sugar
1 cup water
Salt and Black peppercorns
• Heat a heavy pot with some vegetable oil.
• Add the cabbage and apples and cook until cabbage is lightly browned.
• Add the sugar. Mix.
• Add the water and cover with vinegar.
• Add the peppercorns and season with salt.
• Bring to a boil and lower the heat. Cover and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes until cabbage is