Here’s a wonderful soup that you can make in a slow cooker and forget about! It is loaded in nutrients and flavor. It is also really inexpensive. What a deal!
You will need to do the following:
- Rinse 16 oz. of dry black beans in a colander. Wash them well.
- Place the beans in a Crock-Pot.
- Chop 1 medium yellow onion and throw it in the pot.
- Chop 3 medium tomatoes and throw them in the pot – juice and all.
- Peel and dice 1 large carrot and throw it in the pot.
- Seed and finely chop 1 jalapeno and throw it in the pot.
- Finely chop 2 celery stalks with the leaves and throw them in the pot.
- Mince 4 garlic cloves and throw it in the pot.
- Sprinkle 1 TBS salt, a lot of black pepper, 1 TBS cumin and 1 tsp oregano on the whole thing. Mix well.
- Add about 8 cups of boiling water on top of the beans and veggies. Don’t worry about having too much liquid. The beans will grow as they rehydrate and cook.
- Cook on high for 6 hours without uncovering to sneak any peaks.
- Uncover the pot and- if you have an immersible blender , blend until 3/4 of the soup is creamed. If you do not have one, let the soup cool for a little while and blend 3/4 of it, in batches, in a stand-up blender. Return the creamed soup to the pot with the remaining soup. Mix well. Taste for salt and re-season if necessary.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with chopped tomatoes, crumbled white cheese (I used Cotija) and chopped scallions.