Making a tart shell is easy and absolutely delicious! Here is what you need to do for this:
• Place 1 ¼ cup flour, 3 TBS sugar and 1 tsp salt in a food processor. Put it in the freezer for 30
• Add 2 TBS, very cold, vegetable shortening and 3 TBS, very cold, unsalted butter to the cold
flour. Pulse for about 10 times until crumbs are forms. Add ¼ cup iced water to the processor
and process until dough is formed.
• Dump the dough onto a well floured board and form into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and
refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
• Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
• Place the chilled dough on a well floured board and roll out with a rolling pin.
• Place the rolled out dough on a tart dish. Do not stretch it. It will shrink. Using your hands cut off the excess on the sides and place it where you are lacking dough, until the whole dish is covered.
• Wrap the edges of your shell with some buttered aluminum foil strips. Place raw beans or rice in the middle of the tart. Bake for 10 minutes and remove from oven.
• Remove aluminum foil and beans – very carefully!
• Return to oven and bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes until shell is lightly browned.
• Cool down completely before filling.