Pastry cream is absolutely delicious and great for filling tarts, eclairs or other pastries. Here’s a step-by-step instructional video on how to make this treat. Here is what you are going to need for this:
• Place 1 ½ cup whole milk in a heavy pan and bring to almost a boil. Keep the milk hot.
• Place 5 egg yolks, room temperature and ¾ cups sugar into a bowl. Beat until creamy, for about 4 minutes.
• Add 3 TBS cornstarch and beat until well incorporated.
• Slowly ladle it the hot milk and beat constantly.
• Place the egg mixture into a pan and, working on low heat and stirring constantly, bring to a boil. The mixture will start curdling. No worries! Whisk vigorously until you have a smooth, pudding like consistency.
• Add 1 tsp vanilla and 1 tsp rum (optional).
• Add 1 TBS heavy cream and 1 TBS butter. Whisk until melted.
• If necessary, pass cream through a fine sieve. Place cream in a bowl and cover directly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until cold.
• Use to fill any pastry you desire!