Here’s a great way to cook beef brisket. It will take some time but you will end up with some super tender meat. I went ahead and made a large one in order to have left overs. I used the remaining meat to make a quick chili. Wonderful way to stretch a meal and save money!
1 – 3.5 to 4 pound beef brisket – trimmed
1 medium white onion – chopped
6 garlic cloves – minced
1.5 TBS Italian parsley – chopped
2 TBS celery – chopped (leaves included)
5 carrots – peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
Fresh thyme sprigs
1 cup beef broth
½ bottle red wine
Salt & Pepper
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Generously season the meat with salt and pepper.
- Heat a braising pot with olive oil. Brown meat, evenly, on both sides and set aside.
- Pour a little red wine in pot and scrape brown bits from the bottom. Add the chopped onion and cook for 5 to 6 minutes until softened and starting to brown.
- Add the garlic, parsley and celery. Mix well. Cook for about 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the carrots. Cook for about 4 minutes. Move cooked veggies to the sides and place brisket in the middle of the pot.
- Add the broth and wine. Place the thyme sprigs on the sides.
- Bring pot to boil. Cover and place in oven for about 4 hours – until meat is very tender.
- Remove from oven and serve with mashed potatoes. Enjoy!