This is super delicious! I use the carrots to sweeten my sauce instead of sugar. One of my kids favorites – and their friends as well! This meal carries well in a thermos for lunch at school or at the office. Here is what you are going to need:
1 pound bag penne pasta
1 pound ground sausage
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
1 medium carrot, finely diced
1 medium white onion, finely chopped
3 garlic clove, minced
6 tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped (keep the juice)
2 heaping tablespoons tomato paste
2 cups chicken stock
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 cup whole milk
Salt & pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta perpackage instructions. Drain and drizzle with olive oil.
- Brown the sausage in a large pan. Drain the fat into a bowl.
- Wipe the pan and add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Heat.
- Add the onions, celery, carrots and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 to 5 minutes until onions start to brown.
- Add the tomatoes with their rendered juice and the tomato paste. Mix well. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Return the sausage to the pan. Mix well.
- Add the chicken stock and the oregano. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer slowly for 1 ½ to 2 hours.
- Add the milk and heat through – do not bring to a boil as milk might curdle.
- Add the penne to the sauce and mix well.
- Serve topped with Parmesan cheese.