This wonderful cookie combines rich dark chocolate with fresh peppermint. The ultimate combination! This recipe also allows you options as to making sandwiches rolled in crushed peppermint candies or frosting the cookies and topping them with said candies or grated chocolate. Whatever you decide, you will be very happy with the end result. Here is what you need for these:
1 ¾ cups flour
½ cup dark unsweetened cocoa
¼ tsp. salt
¾ cups unsalted butter – softened
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
• Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
• Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
• In another bowl, cream the butter. Add the sugar and the egg. Mix well.
• Add the dry ingredients and mix until everything is incorporated. Do not over mix.
• Form dough into a ball. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
• Remove the dough from the fridge, unwrap, and scoop out into little balls with a mini-ice cream scoop OR use a small spoon.
• Place the cookies on a parchment lined baking sheet – 2 inches apart from each other.
• Flatten the cookies with the bottom of a glass or with the palm of your hand.
• Bake cookies for about 8 to 10 minutes – until they lose their shine and indent a but when touched in the middle.
• Allow cookies to cool on sheet for a few minutes. Remove the cookies onto a wire rack and cool down completely.
• Frost or make sandwiches with the peppermint cream. (Recipe follows).
¾ cup unsalted butter – softened
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
¾ tsp. peppermint extract & red food coloring
• Cream butter and sugar. Add peppermint and coloring. Mix well. Set aside.