Greek Pita bread is flat and soft. It is great for eating with hummus or tapenade. It is also delicious with butter and jam! These are quite easy to make but you will have to allot some time to allow the dough to rise. Here is what you are going to need for this:
1 TBS dry yeast
1 TBS sugar
½ cup warm water
• Mix yeast and sugar in a small bowl. Add water and mix well. Cover bowl. Set aside until yeast starts bubbling – about 5 minutes.
4 cups flour
2 tsp. salt
1 cup warm water
1 TBS olive oil
• Place the flour and salt in a large bowl. Mix well.
• Add the prepared yeast and the cup of water.
• Mix ingredients with a spoon.
• Knead bread for about 15 minutes until you have uniform dough and it is no longer sticky.
• Add the olive oil to the bread and knead for another 5 minutes until the dough has absorbed it all.
• Set the dough aside in a warm corner of your kitchen. Cover it with a clean dish rag and allow it to rise – until doubled in size – for about 2 hours.
• Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
• Punch down your dough and knead it for a few more minutes.
• Pinch off pieces of dough to form little balls.
• Flatten the dough balls on a well-floured board. Prick flat bread all over with a fork.
• Place pans in oven and bake for about 3 to 4 minutes. Flip bread and bake for an additional 3 to 4 minutes.
• Remove from oven and cool down. Serve and enjoy!