Angel food cake is a labor of love and patience. It has some definite tricks to it which I show you in this video. Mainly, you must be gentle and patient. Treat the egg whites with love and don’t skip any steps. Here is what you need for this:
1 1/2 cup sugar preferably super fine
1 cup cake flour
1 1/2 cups egg whites – about 10 to 12 large eggs – at room temperature
1 TBS warm water
1 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place sugar in a food processor and process for about 2 minutes until sugar is super fine. Set aside.
- Sift the flour and 3/4 cup sugar 4 times. Set aside.
- Place the egg whites, water, cream of tartar, salt, vanilla extract and almond extract into a mixer bowl. Beat the egg whites – on medium speed – until soft peaks start to form – about 3 minutes.
- Add the remaining 3/4 cup sugar to the egg whites a spoon at a time. Beat for another 3 minutes – until stiffer peaks form and eggs are glossy. Do not over-beat!
- Transfer the beaten eggs into a large bowl. Sift enough of the flour/sugar mixture to cover the eggs. Fold carefully but quickly. Do this for about 6 times.
- Carefully spoon batter into a 10 inch tube pan. Run a knife in cake a couple times to get rid of any air pockets. Level with spatula and place in oven.
- Bake cake for 35 to 49 minutes – until top is light brown and cake springs back when touched.
- Invert cake pan onto a colander, bottle neck or funnel. Cool down for 1 hour.
- Run a knife around the edges of the cake and remove from mold. Enjoy!