We will be using three cheeses for this recipe for macaroni and cheese — cheddar, Monterrey Jack and Parmesan. The final result will be a delectable, creamy pasta dish.
You can make this recipe in a deep casserole dish or in four individual oven proof ramekins. Either way this is a very special meal.
This recipe for macaroni and cheese can be served as a side dish or a vegetarian main meal. We will be making a roux and for a white sauce for this. It is important that you cook the flour a bit before adding the milk or you will taste the raw flour in your final sauce. Not good.
When you are making your white sauce you will initially have lumps. Don’t worry about it. Continue whisking and they will disappear. Just be patient and consistent in your whisking.
Here is what you are going to need for this delicious recipe for macaroni and cheese:
12 oz. cooked elbow macaroni
4 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
4 oz. shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
4 oz. shredded Parmesan cheese
6 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
3 cups milk
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a large pan. Add the flour and whisk for 1 to 2 minutes to cook the flour. Whisk in the milk and cook, whisking constantly, until you have a lumpless, smooth white sauce.
3. Add the mustard. Mix well, getting rid of any lumps that may form.
4. Add the cheese and mix well.
5. Add the macaroni and mix well.
6. Place the macaroni and cheese into a buttered casserole dish. Sprinkle with extra Parmesan cheese and paprika for color.
7. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until cheese browns and sauce is bubbly. Serve and enjoy!