Quinoa is a common staple in the Andean region. It is considered a super food and is getting more and more common in the USA. I buy mine from Trader Joe’s – who happen to import it
from Bolivia, where I grew up. We ate quinoa all the time as kids and I encourage you to try it out! Here is a nice and healthy recipe that I hope you will like! Here is what you are going to need for this:
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
• Wash the quinoa very well. Place in a pot. Add the water and salt.
• Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and steam for 15 minutes.
• Quinoa will be cooked when it is translucent and has a visible germ ring.
• Fluff with a fork. Set aside and cool completely.
6 chopped scallions – whites, light green and dark green
2 large tomatoes – chopped
1 cup chopped parsley
¼ cup chopped mint
½ a cucumber – peeled, seeded and chopped
• Place the cold quinoa in a large bowl.
• Add the scallions, parsley, tomatoes, parsley, mint and cucumber.
• Mix well.
• Season with olive oil, salt and lemon juice to taste.
• Serve on a bed of lettuce so everyone can make a lettuce wrap.