I want to show you how to make orange chicken the healthy (and more authentic) way. This is an exquisite version that is not heavy and greasy and is pretty easy to make.
As with all food that you cook in a wok it is imprtant that you have all your ingredients ready before you start. This might take a little prepping but it is necessary. Once you start cooking you will not have time to prep anything as you will be working with high heat and fast.
This is a nice way to cook chicken breast. It is incredibly flavorful and it gets all its orange flavor from a good amount of orange zest.
This is what you are going to need for this delicious orange chicken recipe:
2 whole chicken breasts – skinned, boned and cut into 1.5 inch strips
FOR THE SAUCE:
2 TBS sugar
2 TBS soy sauce
2 tsp. rice vinegar
2 tsp. sesame oil
4 TBS chicken stock
FOR THE COATING:
1 egg white
2 TBS peanut oil
4 TBS cornstarch
1 tsp. rice vinegar
FOR FINISHING UP:
1 TBS minced ginger
1 TBS minced garlic
1 small green bell pepper – diced
1 small orange bell pepper – diced
3 scallions – chopped
1 heaping TBS orange zest
Orange slices for garnishing
• Mix all the sauce ingredients in a bowl. Whisk until mixed well. Set aside.
• Whisk the coating ingredients until mixed well.
• Place the cut up chicken in a bowl. Add the coating and make sure all the chicken is coated well.
• Heat a large skillet or wok with about 2 inch deep peanut oil – until oil is 400 degrees.
• Add the chicken in batches – and cook for only a couple of minutes. Remove the chicken, reheat the oil and add the rest. Repeat the process.
• Reheat the oil one more time and add the chicken – in batches – until starting to turn golden brown. Do not overcook it as it will get hard.
• Empty all but 2 TBS of the oil in the wok.
• Heat well – again.
• Add the garlic and ginger. Cook for one minute until fragrant.
• Add the scallions, peppers and orange zest. Cook for another few minutes – until peppers are cooked but still crisp.
• Add the chicken and the reserved liquid.
• Cook for a couple minutes until sauce is hot and chicken is heated through.
• Serve garnished with fresh orange slices.