In this post I want to show you how to make quiche. Although we are going to make the crust from scratch you can definitely use store bought pie dough to expedite this.
Quiche is great to eat as a main meal with a side salad or as an appetizer. You can use an array of vegetables such as broccoli, mushrooms, scallions, leeks, spinach, zucchini or asparagus. You can make it vegetarian or you can add meats such as ham, bacon or chicken.
The main ingredient in your filling is made up of eggs mixed with cream and cheese. This is not health food but is definitely great for once in a while.
This is how to make quiche:
1 ½ cups flour
½ tsp. salt
½ cup very cold butter
5 to 7 TBS ice cold water
1 cup milk
1 cup cream
1 cup shredded cheese – Cheddar, Monterey Jack, Gruyere or Colby
½ cup Parmesan cheese + more for topping
1 tsp. prepared mustard
1 tsp. black pepper
Greens of 2 scallions – chopped
½ TBS thyme leaves
1 cup chopped spinach leaves
1 cup chopped mushrooms
1 cup chopped ham
• Place the flour and salt in a food processor. Add the cold butter – cut into pieces.
• Pulse until you have a bread crumb consistency.
• Add ice cold water a TBS at a time. Stop adding water as soon as you have dough that is neither sticky nor dry. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
• Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
• Roll out dough and place in tart or pie pan. Prick bottom with a fork.
• Place the eggs in a bowl. Add the milk and cream. Whisk until smooth.
• Add all of the rest of the ingredients – leaving some Parmesan cheese for the topping. Mix well.
• Pour the egg mixture into the pie shell. Top with shredded cheese.
• Bake for 40 to 50 minutes – until eggs are set and an inserted knife comes out clean.
You can use other veggies in this. Try broccoli, zucchini, asparagus or even cauliflower.
CALORIES 461.09; FAT 33.85 grs (sat 19.73; mono 10.23; poly 1.81); PROTEIN 17.87 grs ; FIBER 1.28 grs; CARBS 22.58 grs; CHOLESTEROL 233.53 mg; IRON 2.51 mg; SODIUM 634.90 mg; CALCIUM 259.87 mg