These little tacos are super frugal to make. They are also easy and delicious. What a great vegetarian meal! Here is what you are going to need for 4 people:
12 small corn tortillas
4 medium Russet potatoes – peeled
2 TBS melted butter
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. ground cumin + 1/2 tsp. for salsa
3 ripe tomatoes – peeled
6 cilantro sprigs – stems removed
2 large chili peppers – seeded and membrane removed
1/4 cup water
1 cup shredded fresh cheese (Cotija, Queso Fresco, Panela)
1 cup finely sliced green cabbage
1 large tomato – peeled and diced
6 radishes – cut into thin strips
1 small lime (or half a large one) – juiced
Vegetable or Canola oil
- Cook the potatoes in some salted water. Drain and place in a bowl.
- Mash potatoes and add butter, garlic powder and cumin. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Place the 3 tomatoes, chili peppers, cilantro and water in blender. Season with salt and add 1/2 tsp. cumin powder. Blend and set aside.
- Combine the cabbage, diced tomatoes and radishes in a bowl. Add the lime juice. Season with salt. Set aside.
- Heat a deep skillet with about 2 – inches deep of oil. Heat until oil is very hot.
- While the oil is heating, place a tortilla in front of you. Smear half of the tortilla with the mashed potatoes. Fold tortilla over.
- Place the tortilla in the hot oil. Cook until tortilla is crisp and browned – for about 3 minutes. Remove onto a paper towel lined plate.
- Serve the tacos topped with grated cheese, salsa and cabbage salad.