This poppy seed salad dressing takes some work but is great. If you make it right it will last you for weeks in a closed container in your fridge.
The most important thing when making this poppy seed salad dressing is being very, very patient when you are adding the oil. You have to do so in a very thin and slow stream as you beat it. This will assure proper emulsification and your dressing will not separate. If it does separate it means you added the oil too quickly.
This poppy seed salad dressing is great for any salad but especially for tri color pasta salad.
This salad dressing is wonderful. It is a little tricky to make as you have to add the oil very, very slowly in order to keep it from separating. It goes excellent with garden and pasta salads.
Here is what you need for this delicious and perfect poppy seed salad dressing:
1 cup sugar
¼ cup poppy seeds
1 TBS salt
1 TBS dry mustard
1 cup cider vinegar
2 cups oil
1 TBS mayonnaise
• Mix the sugar, poppy seeds, salt and mustard in a bowl.
• Whisk in the vinegar. Transfer to a handheld beater is you have one.
• Add the oil – very slowly – beating for a few minutes after each addition. The secret to this recipe is adding the oil very slowly. This will keep it from separating. The whole process should take about 30 minutes.
• Add the mayonnaise and mix well.
• Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
• Enjoy this salad dressing with you salad of choice!
1/8 cup dressing – CALORIES 155.44; FAT 14.41 grs (sat 1.1; mono 8.7; poly 4.14); PROTEIN 0.238 grs ; FIBER 0.22 grs; CARBS 6.7 grs; CHOLESTEROL 0.15 mg; IRON 0.14 mg; SODIUM 221.59 mg; CALCIUM 16.31 mg