These small potato tacos are inexpensive and quite easy to make. They consist of a tortilla filled with spiced mashed potato and then fried. They are then served with a delicious homemade salsa and fresh cheese.
You can definitely make these vegan if you want. Simply use oil instead of butter and serve them without cheese.
Because these tacos are fried they need to be eaten immediately. They will not keep well. The truth is that they are so delicious you will probably not have to worry about having any left over.
This is what you are going to need for these wonderful potato tacos:
12 small corn tortillas
4 medium Russet potatoes – peeled
2 TBS melted butter
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. ground cumin + 1/2 tsp. for salsa
3 ripe tomatoes – peeled
6 cilantro sprigs – stems removed
2 large chili peppers – seeded and membrane removed
1/4 cup water
1 cup shredded fresh cheese (Cotija, Queso Fresco, Panela)
1 cup finely sliced green cabbage
1 large tomato – peeled and diced
6 radishes – cut into thin strips
1 small lime (or half a large one) – juiced
Vegetable or Canola oil
- Cook the potatoes in some salted water. Drain and place in a bowl.
- Mash potatoes and add butter, garlic powder and cumin. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Place the 3 tomatoes, chili peppers, cilantro and water in blender. Season with salt and add 1/2 tsp. cumin powder. Blend and set aside.
- Combine the cabbage, diced tomatoes and radishes in a bowl. Add the lime juice. Season with salt. Set aside.
- Heat a deep skillet with about 2 – inches deep of oil. Heat until oil is very hot.
- While the oil is heating, place a tortilla in front of you. Smear half of the tortilla with the mashed potatoes. Fold tortilla over.
- Place the tortilla in the hot oil. Cook until tortilla is crisp and browned – for about 3 minutes. Remove onto a paper towel lined plate.
- Serve the tacos topped with grated cheese, salsa and cabbage salad.