You can make this recipe in the pressure cooker, crock pot or braising pot. I made it in the pressure cooker because I did not have too much time to spare. Remember to always be extra careful when using a pressure cooker. You do not want to have any accidents. Here is what you are going to need for this:
1 – 4 to 5 pound beef roast
2 medium yellow onions – sliced
2 to 3 fresh thyme sprigs
1 cup cola
1 cup water
1 – 12 oz. bottle dark beer
4 carrots – sliced
12 prunes – seeded and halved
Salt/ Pepper/ Olive oil
- Rinse and pat dry the roast. Remove and discard any excess fat and thin membrane.
- Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet with some olive oil and brown meat evenly on all sides.
- Place browned meat in the pressure cooker.
- Add the sliced onions to the skillet and cook for about 25 minutes – until caramelized. Make sure to scrape all the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Place the thyme sprigs on the meat and add the caramelized onion. Add the cola and water. Seal the lid and cook for about 1 hour.
- Remove pressure cooker from heat and cool down completely. Open it and add the beer, carrots and prunes.
- Seal the cooker again and cook for an extra 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Cool down pressure cooker completely, again, and remove roast.
- Slice it and place in a serving dish. Top with the gravy and serve. Enjoy!