This tortilla soup with chicken is very satisfying and super tasty. We are going to cook a whole chicken and make a hearty stock and then finish it. I used chipotle peppers in this soup to add some smoky heat.
Chipotles are smoked jalapeño peppers that are canned in a tomato sauce called adobo. They add a beautiful spicy and smoky flavor to foods. They are packed with their seeds so they can be quite hot. The amount of chipotles that you choose to use will depend on how much heat you like to eat.
It is important that you are patient and wait for the stock to cool down so that you can remove the excess fat easier. If you skip this step you will have a very greasy soup. You could use skinless chicken breast and thighs for this as well. However, I believe that the skin adds a lot of flavor to this,
Here is what you need for this fantastic trtilla soup with chicken:
FOR THE STOCK:
1 – 3 pound whole chicken – washed/ giblets removed
2 carrots – peeled
3 celery stalk w/ leaves
1 small bell pepper – seeded and halved
1 chili pepper – seeded, membrane removed and halved
6 garlic cloves – peeled
Salt & Pepper
10 cups water
- Place all the ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a boil. Skim off any foam that might be rendered. Reduce heat and simmer for about 90 minutes. Remove from heat. Cool stock down. Discard all vegetables.
- When chicken is cool enough to handle, shred the meat. Discard the skin and bones. Set aside.
- Skim off any fat from cold stock.
FOR THE SOUP:
1 large white onion – chopped
4 garlic cloves – chopped
3 chipotle chiles in adobo – chopped
1 TBS ground cumin
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 TBS tomato paste
6 large tomatoes – peeled and chopped
8 cups chicken stock
2 cups thawed frozen corn
Salt, Pepper, Oil
Diced avocado, tortilla chips, shredded Farmers cheese, chopped cilantro, chopped scallion greens, sliced lime – for garnish
- Place some oil in a large pot. Add the onion and cook for about five minutes, until softened and translucent. Add the garlic and chipotles and cook for another two. Mix well.
- Make a well in the middle and add a little more oil. Add the cumin and oregano. Mix well. Cook for about two minutes – until fragrant.
- Add the tomato paste and mix well. Cook for another couple of minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes, mix well, and cook for about 15 minutes. If desired, blend tomatoes after the have cooked. This is an optional step.
- Add the chicken stock to the tomato base. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Add the corn and the shredded chicken.
- Bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Ladle soup into a bowl. Garnish it with grated white cheese, chopped cilantro, chopped scallion greens, diced avocado, tortillas chips and lime.
- Enjoy! Buen provecho!