Braising is a nice way to cook chicken. After you are done with the initial prepping all you need to do is let the meal cook itself! You will end up with a very tender, super flavorful dish. Here is what you need for this:
6 slices Pancetta – sliced
5 chicken thighs/ 5 chicken drumsticks (skinned optional)
½ medium red onion – sliced
1 bell pepper – sliced
6 garlic cloves – minced
4 large tomatoes – peeled and chopped
1 sprig Rosemary – leaves removed (about 1 TBS)
15 seeded green olives – chopped
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup dry white wine
Salt & Pepper
- Crisp the pancetta in a braising pan. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper. Add to the pan and brown in the pancetta rendered fat. Brown evenly on all sides. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Remove all but 2 TBS of the remaining fat in the pot. Add the onion, bell pepper and garlic. Cook making sure you scrape the brown-bits from the bottom of the pan. Add a little chicken stock to aid in the process. Cook the vegetables for about 5 minutes until softened. Add the chopped tomatoes and the rosemary leaves. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the pan. Add the olives and the cooked pancetta. Add the chicken stock and the wine. Bring pot to a boil, cover and reduce the heat. Simmer for about 1 ½ hours to 2 hours. Add extra salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve the chicken with some mashed potatoes. Enjoy!