Potato gnocchi are a small dumpling that is readily available in pre-made form. You will find it in the pasta section of your grocery store. Potato gnocchi are addicting and absolutely melt-in-your-mouth perfection.
Although potato gnocchi is traditionally eaten as a pasta with either tomato sauce or Gorgonzola sauce I used it in a sensational casserole in this recipe. Although I used beef you can omit it and keep it vegetarian if you would like.
This is what you are going to need for this beautiful potato gnocchi casserole:
1 pound ground beef
1 medium white onion, finely chopped
4 Roma tomatoes, chopped
½ green bell pepper, finely chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
1- 14-oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 tbsp. dry oregano
2 tbs. tomato paste
¾ cup white wine
½ cup basil leaves, chopped
12 oz. potato gnocchi
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
Salt & Pepper
• Season the ground beef with salt and pepper. Brown the meat in a large skillet. Drain out the fat and set aside.
• Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Put in one package of gnocchi. Wait for the gnocchi to rise to the top of the pot and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from the water with a slotted spoon. Set aside and cook the second package in the same manner.
• Heat a large skillet with olive oil. Add the onion and cook for 4 minutes, until soft and translucent. Add the garlic and oregano and cook for 2 more minutes, stirring often. Add the peppers and chopped tomatoes and cook for another 4 minutes. Add the crushed tomatoes and the tomato paste. Slowly mix in the wine and dissolve the tomato paste. Return the ground beef to the pan. Season with salt and pepper and mix well. Add the basil leaves. Give it a good stir and let it cook for 10 minutes.
• Heat the oven to 375 degrees.
• Add the cooked gnocchi to the meat sauce and mix well. Place the gnocchi and sauce in a casserole dish. Cover it with Parmesan cheese.
• Place the casserole dish into the oven and cook for 25 to 30 minutes, until the cheese melts and the sauce is bubbly. Serve and enjoy!
CALORIES 289.95; FAT 16.24 grs (sat 7.28; mono 6.89; poly 0.82); PROTEIN 15.26 grs ; FIBER 3.20 grs; CARBS 18.77 grs; CHOLESTEROL 47.82 mg; IRON 2.72 mg; SODIUM 711.79 mg; CALCIUM 124.03 mg