Black beans burgers are a great alternative to beef. They are full of protein and very low in fat. You can go ahead and make a sandwich with them or serve them as I did with a cabbage, tomato, cilantro and lime salad. Here is what you need for this:
2 – 15 oz. cans black beans –drained and rinsed
1 large garlic clove
3 TBS mayonnaise
½ tsp. ground cumin
½ tsp. dried oregano
1 small chipotle pepper (or ½ a large) – optional
1/3 cup bread crumbs
¼ cup minced red onion
1 TBS chopped cilantro
• Place on of the cans of drained and rinsed beans in the food processor.
• Place the second can into a bowl.
• Add the garlic, mayo, cumin, oregano. Chipotle and bread crumbs to the food processor. Process until beans are mashed and all ingredients are incorporated.
• Add the mashed beans to the bowl of whole beans. Add red onion and cilantro.
• Mix well and form patties.
• Heat a skillet with a little bit of oil. Add the patties and cook until bottom forms a brown crust. Flip burger and cook until second sides browns as well.
• Serve in a sandwich with salsa, sour cream, lettuce, red onion and tomato OR topped with cabbage salad.
1 small green cabbage head – sliced
2 medium tomatoes – chopped
¾ cup chopped cilantro
1 large lime – juiced
Salt to taste
• Mix cabbage, tomatoes and cilantro in a bowl. Add lime juice and season with salt.
Patty no bread or salad – CALORIES 220.75; FAT 4.41 grs (sat 0.48; mono 1.21; poly 2.06); PROTEIN 11.44 grs ; FIBER 12.77 grs; CARBS 42.07 grs; CHOLESTEROL 3.75 mg; IRON 4.11 mg; SODIUM 1702.68 mg; CALCIUM 146.96 mg