This Shepherds pie recipe is a beautiful potato and meat casserole that is loaded with veggies and palate-pleasing flavors. It is the ultimate comfort food as it will warm even your soul. Just plain goodness in a dish.
I first had this meal when I moved to New Hampshire. Although we have a similar casserole in Bolivia — a meat and potato casserole — it is different. I love both and make them when the weather starts getting cold.
Although Shepherds pie is originally made with lamb, I make mine with ground beef. It is easier to find, less expensive and I prefer the taste.
Here is what you are going to need for this perfectly delicious Shepherds pie recipe:
8 medium Russet potatoes
1 lb. ground beef
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
3 large garlic cloves, minced
3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
3 celery stalks
1 teaspoon dried thyme
3 tablespoons tomato paste
2 cups chicken stock
2 tablespoons butter, sliced
½ cup milk
1. Peel and quarter the potatoes. Place in a pot, cover with water, salt and cook until potatoes are tender.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
3. Heat a pan with olive oil. Add the beef. Season with salt and pepper and brown. Drain the excess grease.
4. Clean pan with a paper towel. Add more olive oil and heat. Add the onion, garlic and thyme. Cook for three minutes, stirring often. Add the carrots and celery and mix well. Add tomato paste and ½ cup stock. Mix well and cook for 6 to 7 minutes.
5. Add the beef and mix well. Add the rest of the stock and simmer for 20 minutes.
6. While the beef and veggies cook, place the potatoes in a bowl with some of the liquid it cooked in. Add the butter and the milk. Using a hand held mixer and mix, slowly for 2 to 3 minutes until potatoes are mashed and creamy.
7. Place a thin layer of mashed potatoes in a baking dish. Add the beef and vegetable mixture on top. Top with extra mashed potatoes.
8. Place in the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until beef is bubbling and potatoes are dry on top.
9. Serve and enjoy!
CALORIES 263.98; FAT 14.55 grs (sat 6.84; mono 5.75; poly 0.72); PROTEIN 14.24 grs ; FIBER 2.21 grs; CARBS 20.03 grs; CHOLESTEROL 48.38 mg; IRON 2.28 mg; SODIUM 203.72 mg; CALCIUM 57.34 mg