This vegetable soup recipe is easy and loaded with veggies. You can use whatever vegetable you prefer for this. It is great for using little scraps in your fridge.
This is a very versatile soup. I used chicken stock in it but you can certainly use water or vegetable broth if you want to keep it vegetarian or vegan.
This is a typical soup we eat at lunch in Bolivia. We will add rice or thin noodles or barley or even quinoa to it. It is very healthy and will fill you up with great stuff.
This is what you need for this exquisite vegetable soup recipe:
1 medium white onion, minced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 TBS chopped cilantro
1 TBS chopped parsley
1 ½ TBS white rice
6 cups water, vegetable broth or chicken broth
Salt & Pepper
Dried herbs of choice (oregano, basil, marjoram, thyme)-optional
· Heat a pan with some olive oil. Add all of the above ingredients and sauté for a few minutes, until onion starts browning lightly.
· Add any of the following veggies: cubed butternut squash, sliced green beans, diced potatoes, sliced cabbage, sliced carrots, peas, corn, sliced okra, diced bell peppers, cauliflower florets, broccoli florets or any other vegetable you desire. Sauté for a few minutes.
· Add rice and liquid. Season with salt and pepper. Add your herb of choice, if any.
· Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes until veggies and rice are cooked through.
· Ladle into bowls. Garnish with finely chopped parsley.