Close your eyes for a minute and imagine biting through a light, thin chocolate layer into luscious cheesecake and crunchy chocolate crust laced in dulce de leche caramel and walnuts. Brace yourself. Can you feel that explosion of flavors in your mouth? Are you hoping it will never end? Ahh . . . angelic.
This is exactly what you are going to get when you bite into these little cheesecake bites. The chocolate crust is made with crisp wafers which are then topped with melted caramels and walnuts. On top comes a layer of creamy, indulgent dulce de leche cheesecake. If that were not enough, once it is baked a thin layer of dulce de leche is spread on the cheesecake. Once it is cold the cheesecake is cut into small cubes that are immersed in melted chocolate. My mouth is watering as I write this. Literally.
This is what you are going to need to do to make these exquisite cheesecake bites:
1 ¼ cups chocolate wafer crumbs
¼ cup melted unsalted butter + 1 TBS for chocolate
20 caramel candies
2 ½ TBS cream
½ cup chopped walnuts
1 – 8oz. package cream cheese
¼ cup dulce de leche + 1 TBS for glaze
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/3 cup sour cream
8 oz. semisweet chocolate
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a square baking pan with two layers of heavy duty aluminum foil – making sure it overlaps the pan. Spray the foil lightly with cooking spray.
- Place the cookie crumbs and the melted butter in a bowl. Mix it until all the crumbs are coated. Press the crumbs onto the foil.
- Place the caramel candies and 2 TBS cream in a small bowl. Microwave them – in 30 second intervals – until they are melted and creamy. This should take about 1 ½ minutes. Mix the walnuts into the caramel and spread it evenly on the cookie layer. Place the pan in the refrigerator.
- Mix the cream cheese and dulce de leche in a bowl, until creamy. Add the egg, vanilla and sour cream. Mix well and place in the pan. Evenly spread the cream cheese onto the caramel. Place the pan in the oven and bake between 35 to 40 minutes – until cheesecake is firm and a knife comes out clean if you pierce it.
- Place the cheesecake on a wire cooling rack and allow cooling for one hour. While it is cooling, place 1 TBS dulce de leche and ½ TBS cream in a small bowl. Microwave it until it melts. Spread it on the cheesecake – after it has cooled for one hour – and continue cooling it for an extra hour (2 hours cooling time in total).
- Loosely cover the cheesecake with some foil and refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours – preferably overnight.
- Remove the cheesecake from the fridge and pull out the foil from the pan. Place it on a cutting board and 42 squares.
- Place the chocolate and 1 TBS unsalted butter in a bowl or double boiler. Melt it, mixing it occasionally. Place a square of cheesecake on a spoon and dip into the melted chocolate. Carefully transfer it to another spoon and allow the excess chocolate to drip. Place it on the wire cooling rack and allow it to cool for about 20 minutes. Repeat with all of the cheesecake squares.
- Keep the cheesecake bites in a covered container in the refrigerator. Enjoy!
1 bite – CALORIES 138.33; FAT 8.92 grs (sat 4.19; mono 1.97; poly 0.40); PROTEIN 2.01 grs ; FIBER 1.01 grs; CARBS 13.27 grs; CHOLESTEROL 16.97 mg; IRON 0.29 mg; SODIUM 84.76 mg; CALCIUM 23.85 mg