Figs have a very short season in early summer and then are out in August and September. If you are lucky enough to find them try this amazing healthy fig dessert. Of all the healthy fig desserts I know this is my absolute favorite.
This dessert is very easy to make but looks super complicated. It is also very fresh and great for a nice hot day. You can serve it plain or with some whipped cream, coconut and chopped walnuts.
Figs are great for your health. They are full of antioxidants, vitamins A, E and K. They are also high in fiber. I absolutely love them.
Here is what you are going to need for this delicious, elegant and healthy fig dessert:
1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
1/2 cup chopped walnuts + 2 TBS for garnish (opt)
1/2 cup sweetened whipped cream (opt)
2 TBS shredded coconut (opt)
1 TBS butter
- Butter a Bundt pan.
- Wash the figs. Peel them using a paring knife by gently cutting the wider part and pulling off the skin. Cut all peeled figs in half.
- Place a layer of figs, meat side up, with the round side against the wall of the pan. Make sure to cover the bottom and middle – make it snug. Sprinkle some confectioner’s sugar on the figs and some chopped walnuts.
- Place a second layer of figs on top of the first one, meat side down, with the round side reversed. Make sure to cover the bottom and middle – make it snug. Sprinkle some confectioner’s sugar on the figs and some chopped walnuts.
- Repeat this process twice.
- Cover the pan with some plastic wrap – place it directly on to the fruit, pressing it against the figs. Refrigerate it overnight.
- The following day – remove the pan from the fridge. Place a serving platter over the pan and flip it over very quickly. Wait until you hear it fall and then remove the pan.
- You can decorate your crown with some half walnuts and some green leaves like thyme. Or, you can slice it and serve it with some whipped cream, coconut flakes and chopped walnuts. Enjoy!
Fig crown no toppings – CALORIES 187.98; FAT 3.77 grs (sat 0.41; mono 0.56; poly 2.58); PROTEIN 2.24 grs ; FIBER 6.12 grs; CARBS 41.10 grs; CHOLESTEROL 0.00 mg; IRON 0.88 mg; SODIUM 2.13 mg; CALCIUM 74.79 mg