Corn is sweet, tender, juicy and cheap these days! Here’s a great recipe for a wonderful summer meal that will make everyone smile. Serve it with some crusty bread and butter. Here is what you need for this delectable dish:
8 thick strips bacon – cut into ½ inch slices
6 scallions – chopped (separate and reserve the dark green parts)
8 ears of corn – kernels removed
4 small Russet potatoes – peeled and diced
1 cup shredded carrots
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. paprika
4 fresh thyme sprigs –leaves removed
8 cups milk – whole or 2%
2 cups water
1 pound shrimp – peeled and deveined
Salt & Pepper
• Place the sliced bacon in a pot and cook until crisp. Remove all but 2 TBS of the rendered fat and set the cooked bacon aside.
• Add the white and light green parts of the scallions to the oil. Cook for about 5 minutes – until softened. Add the corn, potato and shredded carrots. Add the spices and thyme. Mix well.
• Add the milk and water. Add 3 of the cobs into the soup. Season with salt and pepper. Bring pot to a soft simmer and cook for about 20 minutes – until potato is cooked through. Remove the corn cobs.
• Remove about 2 cups of the soup and cool down. Blend and return to the pot. Mix well. Add about 2 TBS dark green chopped scallion and the shrimp. Cook for about 3 to 4 minutes – until shrimp is pink. Do not overcook the shrimp as it will become rubbery. Taste for salt and pepper and adjust if necessary.
• Serve the chowder. Garnish with some of the remaining dark green scallion and some of the crisped bacon. Enjoy!