Here is a great meal to make with left over meat balls! It is fresh, delicious and loaded with flavor. You will love this. Serve it with some crusty bread. Here is what you are going to need for this delicious soup:
FOR THE MEATBALLS:
In a bowl mix together the following:
• 1 pound ground sausage
• 1pound ground beef
• 1 pound ground veal – (if you can’t find inexpensive ground beef use 1.5 pounds of sausage
and 1.5 pounds of beef)
• ¾ cups shredded Parmesan cheese
• ¾ cup bread crumbs
• 1 egg
• 1 TBS crushed oregano
• 2 minced garlic cloves (large)
• 2 TBS chopped fresh basil
• 2 TBS grated yellow onion
• Black pepper
Mix well and form small meatballs.
Heat a large skillet with olive oil and fry the meatballs, turning as they brown. Drain on paper towels.
FOR THE SOUP:
• Heat a large pot with some olive oil. Add 1 chopped fennel bulb, 1 medium white onion and 2 chopped carrots. Cook for about 10 minutes until the veggies soften.
• Add 1 chopped small summer squash and 1 small chopped zucchini. Cook for an additional 4 minutes.
• Add ¾ cup frozen corn,1 cup small pasta, 1 – 14 oz. can cannellini beans and 16 meatballs. Add 6 cups chicken stock and 1 – 14 oz. can chopped tomatoes. Mix well.
• Bring to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes. Remove from heat. Add 1 cup chopped spinach leaves and 2 ½ TBS chopped basil leaves. Mix and allow wilting.
• Ladle into a soup bowl and add shredded Parmesan cheese.
• Serve with crusty bread