Lasagna is such a popular dish and it really is not as hard to make as it seems. It is also a great inexpensive way to feed large groups of people. You can make it ahead of time and freeze it so that you have it handy when you want to eat it. Here is what you are going to need for this:
For the Sauce:
1 pound ground sausage
¾ pound ground beef
1 yellow medium yellow onion – chopped
6 garlic cloves- minced
1- 29 oz. can tomato sauce
¼ cup chopped basil leaves
• Brown the sausage and beef in a large skillet. Drain the excess fat in a colander inside a bowl.
• Wipe the skillet clean with some paper towels.
• Add some olive oil and heat. Add the onion and cook for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned.
• Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute, until aromatic.
• Return the browned meats to the skillet. Mix well.
• Add the tomato sauce. Fill the empty tomato sauce can half way with water and add to the meat. Mix well.
• Add the oregano and black pepper. Bring sauce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
• Add the chopped basil and set aside.
For the cheese:
15 oz. Ricotta cheese
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
¼ cup shredded Parmesan
¼ cup shredded Mozzarella
• In a large bowl, whisk together the Ricotta, eggs, garlic powder, salt, oregano and pepper. Whisk into a smooth paste.
• Whisk in the Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
• Set aside.
For the noodles:
12 oz. lasagna noodles
• Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the lasagna, per package instructions.
• Drain noodles and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.
• Set the noodles aside.
Assemble the lasagna:
Extra shredded Parmesan and Mozzarella Cheese.
• Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
• Place a thin layer of meat sauce in the bottom of a 13×9 baking dish.
• Top with enough lasagna to cover the meat.
• Top the noodles with about ¾ meat sauce. Sprinkle shredded Parmesan and Mozzarella on top.
• Top with enough noodles to cover the meat.
• Top with the Ricotta cheese mixture.
• Top with enough noodles to cover the cheese.
• Top with the remaining meat sauce.
• Sprinkle shredded Parmesan and Mozzarella cheese on the top – be generous.
• Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
• Uncover dish and bake for an extra 15 minutes.
• Remove from oven and allow sitting for 10 to 15 minutes. Serve and enjoy!