We are going to cheat when we make these puff pastry palmiers as we are not making the puff pastry from scratch. We will use store bought which is readily available in the dessert freezer of your grocery store. By doing this we are going to make these very simple and easy to make.
Puff pastry palmiers are very fancy little cookies which will have everyone thinking you worked very hard to make. They are flaky and laced in crunchy sugar cinnamon. They are absolutely and totally finger licking good.
Please don’t cut any corners when making these cookies. They need to be formed and frozen for a good 3 hours before you cut them and then refrigerated after they are cut. It is very important that you do this in order to insure delectable flakiness.
This is what you are going to need to do for these gorgeous puff pastry palmiers:
FOR THE SYRUP:
¼ cup honey
¼ cup water
½ cup brown sugar
FOR THE PALMIERS:
1 puff pastry sheet
2 cups sugar
¾ cups ground cinnamon
• Place the honey, water and brown sugar in a heavy bottom pan. Bring to a simmer and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until thickened.
• Mix the sugar and cinnamon. Place the sugar mixture on a clean board. Place the puff pastry sheet on top of the sugar. Generously spread sugar on the top side of the puff pastry as well.
• Using a rolling pin, firmly roll the puff pastry into the cinnamon sugar – making sure both sides get covered evenly. Brush the syrup on the pastry.
• Start by tightly rolling the pastry closest to you. Roll it until you reach the middle. Turn the pastry and roll the other side so both rolls meet in the middle. Sprinkle extra sugar on roll and cut off uneven edges.
• Tightly wrap the dough in plastic. Freeze for at least 3 hours.
• Bring roll put of freezer and cut small cookies. Place them on a parchment paper lined sheet. If your kitchen is cold, go ahead and bake them. If not, place the cookie sheet in the fridge for 20 to 30 more minutes.
• Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Place the cookies in oven and bake for 15 to 17 minutes. Very carefully flip cookies. Return to oven and bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes. Be careful not to burn your cookies! Remove baking sheet from oven and immediately place cookies on a cooling rack. Cool down completely and serve. Enjoy these beautiful puff pastry palmiers with a delicious cup of tea.
If you want to make these plain, omit the syrup step. Sprinkle with additional sugar once you flip them in the oven.