This fried fish sandwich can be made with your favorite white fish fillet. I used tilapia. It is not deep fried but rather pan fried which makes it healthier.
This sandwich has many layers of flavors. The fish is seasoned with lemon juice, the eggs are seasoned with mustard and the outer layer has a variety of spices and a combination of bread crumbs and corn meal. This will render you a crunchy crust.
We will also make a homemade tartar sauce for this fried fish sandwich which will complete it. This is a very flavorful meal that is easy to make and is very satisfying.
Here is what you need to make this delicious fried fish sandwich recipe:
8 Tilapia – or any other mild white fish – fillets
1 large lemon + 2 TBS lemon juice for sauce
1/8th cup milk
1 tsp. prepared mustard
¾ cup flour
1 ½ tsp. white pepper
½ cup bread crumbs
½ cup cornmeal
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. paprika
1 TBS chopped parsley
1 cup mayonnaise
1 TBS finely chopped red onion
1 TBS chopped capers
16 lettuce leaves
16 tomato slices
- Rinse fish and place on a plate. Drizzle with lemon juice and season with a little salt. Set aside.
- Place the eggs in a shallow dish. Beat them with the milk and the mustard. Set aside.
- Place the flour in a shallow dish. Add ½ tsp. salt and ½ tsp. white pepper and mix. Set aside.
- Place the bread crumbs and cornmeal in a shallow dish. Add the garlic powder, paprika, the remaining white pepper and the chopped parsley.
- In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, 2 TBS lemon juice, red onion, capers and pickles. Season with a little salt and white pepper and whisk it.
- One by one, coat the fish fillets. First, dredge the fish in the flour, coat well and shake off the excess. Then, place it in the egg, coat well and shake off the excess. Finally, place it in the dish with the breadcrumbs, coat well on both sides and shake off the excess.
- Heat a skillet with some olive oil. When it is hot, add the fish and allow it to brown – about 5 minutes. Flip it and finish cooking – making sure this side browns as well. Be careful not to burn the coating and make sure the fish is cooked through.
- Cut the rolls in the middle but not all the way through. Smear spread on both pieces of bread. Place a lettuce leaf on both pieces of bread. Top the bottom leaves with the fried fish and a couple of tomato slices. Serve and enjoy!
1 sandwich – CALORIES 551.63; FAT 21.80 grs (sat 2.93; mono 7.12; poly 4.14); PROTEIN 34.38 grs ; FIBER 4.58 grs; CARBS 57.34 grs; CHOLESTEROL 135.26 mg; IRON 2.41 mg; SODIUM 1212.90 mg; CALCIUM 67.98 mg