This homemade macaroni and cheese has a creamy interior and is topped with Panko breadcrumbs to give it a nice crunchy top. It is easy to make and delicious.
Panko bread crumbs are Japanese bread crumbs that are coarser than regular ones. However, if you cannot find them go ahead and use regular bread crumbs for this.
Please make sure you do not overcook your pasta. Cook it al-dente — meaning that it has a slight give to it and is not soggy.
Another recommendation is that you cook the flour in your sauce well. You do not want to taste raw flour. Be patient as you add your milk, slowly, and whisk constantly. Initially you will have some lumps but no worries. They will disappear are you continue adding milk and whisking.
This is a classic comfort food that goes beautifully as a side for BBQ’s or as a vegetarian meal with a small salad.
Here is what you are going to need for the best baked macaroni and cheese recipe:
8 oz. cooked large elbow macaroni
12 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
6 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
3 cups milk
1 tablespoon dry mustard
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon paprika
1 cup Panko bread crumbs
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a large pan. Add the flour and whisk for 1 to 2 minutes to cook the flour. Whisk in the milk and cook, whisking constantly, until you have a lump-less, smooth white sauce.
3. Add the mustard and cayenne. Mix well, getting rid of any lumps that may form.
4. Add the cheese and mix well.
5. Add the macaroni and mix well.
6. Place the macaroni and cheese into a buttered casserole dish.
7. In a small skillet, melt the remaining butter and add the Panko crumbs. Fry the crumbs until they start to brown.
8. Sprinkle the Panko crumbs on the macaroni and cheese and place in the oven.
9. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until crumbs are browned and cheese is bubbly. Serve and enjoy!
CALORIES 480.56; FAT 25.74 grs (sat 16.30; mono 7.18; poly 1.18); PROTEIN 17.47 grs ; FIBER 1.80 grs; CARBS 44.33 grs; CHOLESTEROL 72.21 mg; IRON 1.26 mg; SODIUM 271.25 mg; CALCIUM 354.51 mg