We are going to roast our tomatoes for this spectacular tomato tart recipe and by doing so add very bold flavors to our puff pastry. Roasting tomatoes brings out their natural sugars which balances their tartness perfectly.
We are not going to roast these tomatoes on the pastry itself because the pastry will cook faster than the tomatoes will roast. We don’t want to burn it.
This is a great vegetarian meal for the summer time when tomatoes are in season and at their peak. I love making it and serving it with a side salad. Perfection.
Here is what you are going to need for this delectable tomato tart recipe:
8 Roma tomatoes – quartered
2 TBS olive oil + more for brushing puff pastry
½ TBS sugar
½ TBS thyme + more for sprinkling on puff pastry
Salt & Pepper
1 large rectangular puff pastry sheet (about 9×13 inches)
About ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
• Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
• Place tomatoes in a bowl. Add olive oil, thyme and sugar. Season generously with salt and pepper. Toss tomatoes to coat well.
• Place tomatoes on a roasting pan – in a single layer and without piling on top of each other – and roast for about 1 hour.
• While the tomatoes are roasting – spread out your puff pastry sheet. Drizzle with some oil and brush. Sprinkle with thyme.
• 15 minutes into the roasting of the tomatoes, place the puff pastry in the oven. Cook until puffed and browned – about 45 minutes.
• Remove pastry and tomatoes from oven.
• Grate some Parmesan cheese on the puff pastry. Place the roasted tomatoes on top.
• Grate some more Parmesan cheese on the tomatoes.
• Cut into 8 pieces and serve at room temperature.