Asparagus risotto is a very elegant side dish that will dress up any table. It is delicate and quite satisfying. In fact you can eat it as a light meal if you would prefer.
Risotto is a creamy style rice dish which is nicely complemented with asparagus. It is necessary to use short grain rice such as Arborio for this meal because of the way it absorbs the liquid. You can use fresh or frozen asparagus which makes it great for anytime of the year.
Risotto fairly easy to make but you have to be patient. It also must be served immediately. You will want to make this last if you are serving it with other things. If you want to keep it vegetarian use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth in this recipe.
We had it with Hoisin roast duck and chipotle infused sweet potatoes.
Here is what you need for this delicious asparagus risotto:
· Trim a 1 pound bunch of fresh or thawed frozen asparagus.
· Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the asparagus and cook for 2 minutes. Drain and place in iced water. Set aside.
· Place 6 cups of chicken stock into a small pan. Bring to a slow simmer and keep it that way.
· Heat a large skillet with some olive oil. Add a small yellow onion, finely chopped. Cook, stirring often until onion is soft and translucent. Add 2 cups of Arborio rice and saute until rice is translucent and has a small dot in the middle – about 10 minutes.
· Add 1 ladleful of chicken stock to the rice. Mix constantly until the liquid is mostly dried up.
· Continue adding the stock, a ladleful at a time, for 15 minutes. Add the asparagus.
· Add all but ¼ of the chicken stock to the risotto. When rice is cooked – in about 20 minutes -remove from heat. Add the remaining ¼ cup chicken stock and ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese. Mix well.
· Serve immediately!