This corn chowder recipe is at its best when sweet, tender yellow corn is in season. You can also make it with frozen yellow corn if you would like.
If you are suing fresh corn, you will be adding three cobs to the pot. This will enhance the corn flavor in your chowder. Again, frozen corn is just fine. Simply skip this step. You will also be adding shrimp at the end. Please do yourself a favor and do not overcook the shrimp. You will ruin it and turn it rubbery. When the shrimp turns pink — within minutes of adding it — it is ready. Off the heat. It will continue cooking in the hot liquid so don’t worry about it.
Serve this wonderfully satisfying chowder with a chunk of crusty bread and butter. It is a filling and delicious meal.
This is what you are going to need for this mouth watering corn chowder recipe:
8 thick strips bacon – cut into ½ inch slices
6 scallions – chopped (separate and reserve the dark green parts)
8 ears of corn – kernels removed
4 small Russet potatoes – peeled and diced
1 cup shredded carrots
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. paprika
4 fresh thyme sprigs –leaves removed
8 cups milk – whole or 2%
2 cups water
1 pound shrimp – peeled and deveined
Salt & Pepper
• Place the sliced bacon in a pot and cook until crisp. Remove all but 2 TBS of the rendered fat and set the cooked bacon aside.
• Add the white and light green parts of the scallions to the oil. Cook for about 5 minutes – until softened. Add the corn, potato and shredded carrots. Add the spices and thyme. Mix well.
• Add the milk and water. Add 3 of the cobs into the soup. Season with salt and pepper. Bring pot to a soft simmer and cook for about 20 minutes – until potato is cooked through. Remove the corn cobs.
• Remove about 2 cups of the soup and cool down. Blend and return to the pot. Mix well. Add about 2 TBS dark green chopped scallion and the shrimp. Cook for about 3 to 4 minutes – until shrimp is pink. Do not overcook the shrimp as it will become rubbery. Taste for salt and pepper and adjust if necessary.
• Serve the chowder. Garnish with some of the remaining dark green scallion and some of the crisped bacon. Enjoy!