In this post I want to show you how to bake fish. Fish is great in the oven and it really is not hard to bake. We have many different baked fish recipes on this site.
We are going to make a Bechamel or white sauce for this particular recipe. The fish will be covered in it and then topped with Parmesan cheese.
By covering the fish fillets in a delicate sauce we will protect it from drying up in the oven and we will also make it more flavorful. The Parmesan cheese will melt and brown on top for an ultimate result.
This recipe is an absolute win-win and suitable for entertaining. If you have never made a white or Bechamel sauce you can watch this video. It really is not all that complicated.
This is what you need to do to bake your fish:
6 firmed fleshed fillets of fish such as Wahoo, Halibut, Mahi-Mahi or catfish
1 medium lemon – juiced
4 TBS butter
3 TBS flour
4 cups milk
Pinch ground nutmeg
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
1 1/2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
Salt & Pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Rinse and pat dry the fish. Place it in a baking dish and season with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Melt the butter in a heavy pot. Whisk in the flour, a little at a time. Whisk constantly for 3 to 4 minutes until flour cooks.
- Add the milk, whisking constantly in order to prevent lumps. Season with salt and pepper. Add the nutmeg.
- Whisk constantly until sauce comes to a soft boil and thickens. Remove form heat and mix in parsley.
- Pour the white sauce on to the fish and top with the Parmesan cheese.
- Place fish in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Turn oven to broil and broil fish, turning dish, until cheese is browned – about 5 minutes. Do not burn it!
- Serve and enjoy!