There are different ways to make this creme caramel flan but I think this is by far the easiest. The end result is so wonderful you won’t want to make it any other way! All you need are four ingredients and some caramel made from sugar.
Making caramel is not a big deal. It took me a very long time to finally figure out that all I really needed to do was melt my sugar and make sure I don’t burn it. It is that easy. The video that follows contains tips on making a perfect caramel that does not crystallize.
Once you have the caramel all you need to do is blend the rest of the ingredients and pour them over it. You will then steam the flan in the oven for an hour. Perhaps the hardest thing about this dessert is you have to refrigerate it overnight before you can enjoy it. Please do so for a perfect result. If you skip this you will not have the right consistency.
Here is what you are going to need for this creamy and exquisite creme caramel flan:
1 cup sugar
1 – 14 oz. can evaporated milk
1 – 14 oz. can condensed milk
1 tsp. vanilla
• Add sugar to a heavy pan. Melt sugar at medium heat.
• Swirl pan as the sugar is melting being very careful not to burn it.
• Once all sugar has melted, increase heat and cook until amber in color.
• Pour caramel into a mold without scraping the pot.
• Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
• Place the rest of the ingredients in a bowl. Whisk until you have a uniform cream – about 3 to 4 minutes.
• Pour custard into the mold.
• Place mold in an oven proof dish with high sides. Fill it half-way with hot water.
• Place dish into oven and cook for about 1 hour.
• Remove flan from oven and cool down completely. Cover the mold with plastic wrap.
• Refrigerate for about 12 hours.
• Place on a platter and serve. Enjoy!
VEA ESTE VIDEO EN ESPAÑOL: