This Italian meatball recipe will render you a hearty, moist meatball that you will not get enough of. You can use them for pasta, subs or soup. You can also make a huge batch and freeze them — cooked or uncooked — so you have them handy when you are hankering them.
For this Italian meatball recipe I like mixing Italian sausage with beef. I will sometimes add veal if it is on sale and a t a good price. It is not absolutely necessary to do so. Your final result will be perfect regardless.
In this particular recipe we will add the Italian meatballs to a nice tomato sauce and serve them with Rigatoni pasta. This is an absolute win-win meal. Finger licking good!
Here is what you are going to need for this Italian meatball recipe:
FOR THE MEATBALLS:
In a bowl mix together the following:
· 1 pound ground Italian sausage
· 1 pound ground beef
· 1 pound ground veal – (if you can’t find inexpensive ground beef use 1.5 pounds of sausage
and 1.5 pounds of beef)
· ¾ cups shredded Parmesan cheese
· ¾ cup bread crumbs
· 1 egg
· 1 TBS crushed oregano
· 2 minced garlic cloves (large)
· 2 TBS chopped fresh basil
· 2 TBS grated yellow onion
· Black pepper
Mix well and form small meatballs.
Heat a large skillet with olive oil and fry the meatballs, turning as they brown. Drain on paper towels.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook 12 oz of Rigatoni per package instructions. Drain and set aside.
FOR THE SAUCE:
· Heat a large skillet with some olive oil. Add 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped. If you are using the same pan you fried the meatballs in, make sure to scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Cook onions, stirring occasionally, for 4 to 5 minutes – until softened and lightly browned.
· Add 4 minced garlic cloves and 2 chopped medium tomatoes. (If you would like to add bell peppers to this sauce add 1 finely chopped small one now). Mix well and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes.
· Add 1 ½ TBS chopped fresh basil and 1 TBS crushed dry oregano. Mix well.
· Add 1 – 28 oz. can tomato sauce. Mix well. Fill the empty tomato sauce can half way through with water and scrape the remaining sauce off the sides of the can. Add to the sauce.
· Bring the tomato sauce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
· Add about 16 meatballs and the cooked pasta. Add another 2 TBS chopped fresh basil. Heat through and serve with shredded Parmesan cheese.