In this post I want to show you how to make a grilled cheese sandwich –what is more, how to make a superb grilled cheese sandwich. As far as I am concerned these are the most important steps in order to have a wonderfully delicious and scrumptious grilled cheese sandwich:
1. You need to work with a non-stick skillet so your bread doesn’t stick and break and you need to work on medium high heat.
2. Your bread should be nice and sturdy. You don’t want your bread to get soggy and break because it is flimsy.
3. Use a nice layer of unsalted butter on each side of your bread. Salted butter tends to burn quicker and is generally less creamy. Unsalted butter will do the job just fine. Plus, you will be adding cheese which already has salt in it.
4. Pick a cheese that will melt well. In the following recipe I am using grated Parmesan and Cheddar cheese. You can use Mozzarella, Edam, Gruyere or any other cheese that will melt well. You can use as much cheese as you want.
5. If you are feeling adventurous add other ingredients to your sandwich. You can add veggies, herbs and meats to it. We will be making one with chicken, tomatoes and basil. This will bring your sandwich to the next level of delish!
6. Be patient. Allow the bread to brown well on the bottom. Don’t try and hurry up the process. This will pay off as you bite into a crisp and delicious sandwich.
7. Once you have assembled your sandwich press it down onto the skillet with a weight. I use a pot and physically press it down. Press down for a minute, flip and press down again. This will grill the bread better and help the cheese melt inside your sandwich.
8. Serve your delicious sandwich before it gets cold so your cheese is nice and stretchy. Enjoy!
This is how to make a fantastic grilled cheese sandwich:
Makes one sandwich
1 chicken tenderloin – sliced very thinly
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/8th tsp. salt
1/8th tsp. black pepper
1/8th tsp. garlic powder
1/8th tsp. oregano
A little bit of ground chili pepper – optional
1 tsp. olive oil
2 sliced bread
1 tsp. unsalted butter
½ tsp. yellow mustard
2 TBS grated Parmesan cheese or any cheese you want as long as it melts well
½ a tomato
1 large or 2 medium basil leaves – chopped
About 8 small and thin pieces of cheddar cheese
I am only placing an exact value to the lemon juice, salt, pepper, garlic powder and oregano for nutritional value purposes. You really do not need to measure these if you do not want to!
Place the sliced chicken on a board and sprinkle with lemon juice, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, oregano and chili pepper if using. Toss around to coat well.
Heat a skillet with the olive oil and add the chicken. Cook until one side is browned and then flip. Cook until the flipped side is browned and the chicken is cooked through. This will only take a few minutes as the chicken is very thin. However, please make sure it is fully cooked. Remove it from the skillet when it is done.
While the chicken is cooking, generously butter one side of each of your pieces of bread. Once the chicken has been removed from the pan, place the slices into the skillet butter side down. Smear one slice with mustard.
Spread the Parmesan cheese (or your cheese of choice) on the other slice and arrange the tomatoes on top of it. Add the chopped basil on top of the tomatoes and the cooked chicken on top of the basil. Add the Cheddar cheese slices on top of everything.
Cover the cheddar with the other slice of bread and press it down against the skillet. If you have a weight that would be great but if you do not simply use the bottom of a pot and press down. After about a minute, flip the sandwich and press down again for approximately another minute.
Remove from heat and cut on the diagonal. Serve and enjoy.
CALORIES 492.88; FAT 31.25 grs (sat 14.61; mono 11.08; poly 3.32); PROTEIN 27.01 grs ; FIBER 4.80 grs; CARBS 26.49 grs; CHOLESTEROL 90.44 mg; IRON 2.21 mg; SODIUM 818.87 mg; CALCIUM 286.45 mg