Potato leek soup is a smooth, silky and delicate cream. It is very easy to make and is elegant enough to serve when you are entertaining.
I like using red potatoes for this recipe. I find that they have the perfect amount of starch for this. However, if you can not find it go ahead and use what you have.
Leeks are usually full of dirt. It is really important that you take the time to clean them properly. Last thing you want is to ruin your soup with dirt.
Serve this delightful creamy potato leek soup with warm crusty bread and you have a whole, super satisfying meal.
Here is what you are going to need for this beautiful potato leek soup:
3 leeks – white and light green parts sliced
6 small red potatoes – peeled and chopped
6 cups chicken or vegetable broth – or water
½ tsp. sugar
½ tsp. nutmeg
½ cup heavy cream
Salt & Pepper
2 TBS Butter
Parsley and chives – chopped
• Wash the leeks very well – rinsing them off 4 or 5 times until all the dirt is removed.
• Melt butter in a pot and add leeks. Cook for about 5 minutes until leeks are softened.
• Add the sugar to the leeks and mix well.
• Add the potatoes and the liquid. Season with salt and pepper. Bring pot to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Simmer for about 20 minutes – until potatoes are cooked through.
• Cool soup a little and blend into a smooth cream.
• Return to pot and add nutmeg and cream. Mix well.
• Heat through and serve.
• Garnish with chopped parsley and chive.